Monday, March 31, 2014

A Piece of My Journey



After Christmas it was time to get the sewing room in order. Clean out time was in order. One of the many items that I needed to consider keeping or letting go was many years of Quilter's Newsletter magazines. As you can see from the picture, I had many years worth of issues. The problem was that they were part of my journey. A journey that consisted of quilting. I started sewing garments in middle school and over the years, I focused on quilting. 
I looked through each issue. How sweet a time to look over the pages of beautiful quilts. Quilter's Newsletter brought quilters the up-to-date information on new products, along with artistic quilts. They displayed those quilters who pushed all boundaries and also those who loved tradition." Loose Threads" was a column that was written by Helen Kelley that I looked forward to as each issue arrived at my house. Helen was the Carolyn of "Diary of a Sewing Fanatic". She shared her soul and life in that column! 
What was inspiring beside all of what I have just written was that this quilting world was filled with women who were progressing in an industry that was hopping!! These ladies traveled all over the world to teach or compete in shows and write books!

It was very hard to let go of this piece of my journey, but it was necessary. As I paged through each issue I decided what I needed to keep. Some copies were autographed by the quilt designers that I met at guild meetings! What memories!!! So, decisions were made. Precious issues were stored in my sewing room. Others moved on to a new home.

Quilting is still an interest, but sewing garments is in first place. I have been inspired by so many women who have shared their talents on blogs. Seeing the Indie pattern companies become popular is exciting.

Letting some things go to move forward is a good thing!

4 comments:

  1. A sewing room cleanout is always hard! Sounds like you might have your eye on a few new Indie patterns in the future ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith for your comment! Yes, cleaning out any room is hard. I am looking at Indie patterns and getting excited in the completed garments of bloggers.

      Delete
  2. I have so many magazines that need this same process done... though not as many as you show! It is so hard to get rid of things that were so important at one time. Good idea to keep a few special ones and pass on the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melwyk for your comment! It is hard to get rid of things, but at some point it must be done. Cleaning out takes time (brain thinking time and physical time!).

      Delete