Well happy March everyone! If you are on the east coast, March is promising warmer temps and plenty of sunshine. The one good thing about February's weather was that I had plenty of time to sew due to the snow and bitter temperatures.
I was not very sure if this top was going to make it to a wearable.
The neck edge was too wide for my liking. Here you can see that I did find a solution and it did make it into my closet.
While roaming pattern review, I noticed that the McCalls pattern that is like this had darts in the sleeves. So I trolled around reading up on sleeve darts and decided to try it. It worked. Now I must tell you that my sleeves are a double layer of knit. My front and back pieces are a little heavier than the sleeve fabric and I was worried that the inequality of the two pieces would be evident once it was on my body.
That is a 3 1/2 in dart in the middle of the sleeve piece.
I slashed the dart because of the double layers of fabric. I did not need all that bulk at the neck edge.
I tried to get a close up so you could see the difference in the two fabrics. The sleeves are a soft light grey color and the front and back are white. I had to recalculate my neck binding piece. I measured the finished edge and cut the band 3/4 of that measurement. This idea came from a tutorial from Grainline studio. The band was cut wider (2 1/4 inches).
I made a size 14 and the instructions were very easy. The neck edge might be a game changer for some. I hope my ideas on how to make it smaller help someone out. Both fabrics were from Fabric Mart. I most likely will not make this again. I usually don't wear raglan sleeve tops. I know this style has been popular along with color blocking. That is why I tried it. Due to cold weather, I have not had a chance to wear it.
Next up is V8950. I am using a light and dark purple knit fabrics.
Thanks for following along. Your comments are always encouraging!