Monday, October 22, 2012

Little Forgotten Top

This top is hidden on the pattern envelope. It is S2603. The cascade front knit jacket was the main seller. Along with the jacket is a little sleeveless knit top that only took a yard of fabric for my size. 

Someone (sorry I forgot who) did a post on this top and I knew I had the pattern. When I read that it only took a yard of fabric, I knew I had to give it a try. 

Here is how I styled it during the summer. White shorts with a cardigan for cool nights.


S2603 for knits only

You can see the neck detail. There is a neck band that needs to be interfaced. The front gathers give the top interest. Armholes are finished by turning under 5/8 inches and stitch down. I used my twin needle on all finishes. 
At www.gorgeousfabrics.com you will find a tutorial in the month of September 2009 for how to attach the neckband in an efficient manner. 

I used a knit fabric from Walmart. It is not a very good quality, but I really like the polka dots! It was ok to use to try out the pattern, but I don't think the fabric will wear well. 
The directions are very clear (there aren't many). And again I follow the above mentioned tutorial for the neckband. I also, curved the side seams at the waist. I don't like a boxy fit on my body. 
Will I make it again? Yes, I did. I still need to hem it. Fall sewing has put it on the wait list. 
Now this B5495 was a wadder. First I cut the wrong size. I took this to the beach with me to sew. I realized that not only was it too small, but I forgot the pattern piece that pulls the front together. Well that pattern piece is just a rectangle shape. I drafted my own rectangle, but the whole top just did not work. I did not like the fabric. 
Will I try it again? Yes, I will. Most of the problems were my fault. 
  News from Dharmaville:
DD is made it safely to Indonesia to begin her service to the Peace Corp. She loves it. She is teaching English as a second language to high school girls. She told me that is totally used to seeing a whole family riding a motorcycle around the town! Washing her clothes by hand and hanging them on a wall to dry are keeping her busy.
DS started his first year at York College. He is playing lacrosse. His major is Secondary Education.
My brother and sister-in-law brought home their daughter from Ethiopia this summer. Sintayu celebrated her first birthday this month! It was a great time of fellowship. She is a sweet addition to our family.    
Our home is a little empty, but we are getting used to it!                                                    

3 comments:

  1. Great tops Dharma! I especially love, love, LOVE that polka dot top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your polka-dot top is very cute! I've made that simplicity top a couple times too; I added short sleeves to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly for your comment! I like the idea that you added short sleeves to this pattern. I may give that a try.

      Delete